Thursday, September 20, 2007

God is good and the Devil hates it!

Today I had an awesome Soph.A World History class! We are studying Egyptian history right now and we had been talking about ancient Egypt. One of my students asked a question about why the men that found King Tut's tomb died and if the curse was really real. So, I started to explain to them that because the ancient Egyptians were very much into the occult and the supernatural that Satan had a strong hold on them and the curse probably did exist. As to whether the people died from the curse, I couldn't say for sure, but it was possible if they believed in it, because Satan can take a hold of the smallest things and use them against us. However, if we trust in Jesus, then we have no reason to worry. Then, one of the girls raised her hand to ask a question. When I called on her, she said that she had changed her mind. I asked her if she was sure and she said, "Yes, it's really more of a Bible question not a history question." Now of course no matter what class I'm teaching I am always more than willing to answer any spiritual questions. So, I told her to go ahead and ask it anyway. Here was her question, "Why does Satan bother some people more than others." WOW! What a question to ask and what a complicated answer it has. Now you have to keep in mind that most of our students aren't Seventh-day Adventist, and they don't have a very good foundation in the Bible. So, how was I supposed to answer this question?! As I started to answer the question, she interrupted what I was saying to clarify her questions. "Miss, I mean, I know this lady who is a really good Christian. She's always praying, when she is in her car and everywhere and she sees a lot of demons." Yowza! Way to complicate an even more complicated questions. So, I sent up a quick silent prayer to God, knowing that He was going to have to answer this one through me. Here's what God brought to my mind. I told the students that when Satan was kicked out of heaven, he became very angry and bitter at God. And because he is angry and bitter he doesn't want us to be happy, so he tries to make us angry and bitter too. But when people start to grow close to God, he realizes that he is losing control and he tries even harder to draw us away from Jesus. But, we don't need to worry if we have God on our side, because no matter how hard Satan tries, he can't touch us as long as we stay close to Jesus.

As soon as this student asked the question, the class started to get loud. It was as if Satan was trying to drown out my words. I can tell you, the supernatural forces are very real. I saw both sides working today. And I am so happy that Jesus wins!

3 comments:

Caren said...

Bekah,
I'm so glad that Jesus wins too! Thats a great story. It was good talking to you yesterday! I'm praying for you!

Unknown said...

Hi Bekah! I'm so proud of you - you're doing such an amazing thing! It's awesome to see God work, isn't it?! I love you and I can't wait to see you!

Evan said...

Bekah, I am glad that you are letting God work through you. It is truely amazing what He can do.